[Rhodes22-list] Marine Glurge Was Confused and Stupid

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jul 18 16:10:55 EDT 2003

Glurge is the sending of inspirational (often supposedly "true") tales that conceal much darker meanings than the uplifting moral lessons they purport to offer, and that undermine their messages by fabricating and distorting historical fact in the guise of offering a "true story."" -snopes.com

Roger--

The marine engine industry has concocted this glurge and you keep repeating it.  They are trying to sell more motors, they don't give a damn about marine pollution.  2-cycle engines have not been banned.  More stringent regulations have been established.  The marine engine industry has now developed 2-cycle engines that are cleaner than most 4-cycle engines.

People on this list have constantly complained about the reliability of their 4-cycle engines--we read, year after year, elaborate rituals performed before and after every use by 4-cycle engine owners--what's more, the engines exhaust raw fuel into the water every time they fail to start; owners dump multiple "additives" directly into their fuel; they run their engines twice as long as they need them to drain all the fuel after every use; they dump the old oil into the water with every oil change; their engines leak oil directly into the water...

The population density of wretched excess conspicuous consumption boats is amazingly high wherever there is money.  Here on Long Island Sound I see 100 multi-engine gas guzzlers in operation for every PWC.

I know you are genuinely concerned about the environment, and your engineering background concentrated on removing pollutants emitted by internal combustion engines.  No one questions your competence in the technical aspects of this conversation.  However, with regard to the larger point of swapping in a reliable 2-cycle engine (which will be sold to and used by someone else) for a less reliable, brand new 4-cycle engine (which exacted additional environmental costs in its manufacture) to be used occasionally on a sailboat, I think you have allowed your technical expertise to cloud your common sense judgment.

Bill