[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jul 18 16:41:19 EDT 2003

Mark,

When I trailered a boat to Long Island Sound in a section notorious for bottom fouling I didn't paint it, and didn't have any problem with it.  Now that my boat is moored, bottom paint is a necessity.

I put a red ablative "signal" coat on first, so I would know when I was getting down to the last coat.  I then put a coat of black ablative over the signal coat.  I slap another coat of black ablative paint on every year.  I never sand.  The boat always comes out of the water growth free, and smooth enough (the water smoothes out my sloppy work--which no one can see.)  I don't expect to ever see the signal coat again.   I don't worry if I miss a spot--I'm unlikely to miss the same spot 2 years in a row.

Works for me.

Bill Effros