[Rhodes22-list] Another Danforth question

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jul 22 15:09:32 EDT 2003

Tom,

I do the same thing, and it always works for me.

I think stern anchoring is the way to set the anchor.  Anchoring is not an intuitive process, and it makes no sense either to leave the helm while you are doing it, or to have the least experienced person on the boat set the anchor for you, in a confused situation, and try to tell you if it is holding.

There is no doubt that chain makes anchoring more secure, but it adds a lot of weight to the boat when not in use--which is most of the time.  I have multiple anchors, which I stow forward and aft, port and starboard, to balance the boat.  I think this is a better option for our boats than a single large anchor.  Each anchor has a chain section which I can detach and link to other chain if I think I need more chain on an anchor.  So far I have never felt that need.

Bill Effros