[Rhodes22-list] Newbie anchoring questions

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Tue Jul 22 16:09:50 EDT 2003

Richard,

Right, pulling from the stern puts you sideways to the wind, but if it's
blowing hard, and I'm up on the bow, (single-handing) as soon as the anchor
breaks loose, I'm drifting out of control. Depending on the wind direction,
current and the lee shore, that may or may not be a problem. I've never had
trouble breaking the anchor free from the cockpit.  If it gets tough, I just
use the winch handle.  Only once did I have to cleat off the rode and use
the motor to break the anchor free.  In any case, I'd rather be at the helm
when I'm alone.

Slim