[Rhodes22-list] Another Danforth question

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Tue Jul 22 22:12:25 EDT 2003

At 04:41 PM 7/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Dodn't now much about comparing anchors but am curious about the compac 16.
>I wanted one in the worst way and thought abought a 19 but got a great
>deal on
>a R22 and have been satisfied with it.  I just thought that the compacs were
>built more like little "ships".  I'm finding the quality on the R22 a little
>lacking in some areas but that may be that mine is a 1973 built  in NJ and
>not
>by general or so I think.  I have been upgrading  where needed will probably
>only go so far.  All though every time I go out the boat seems worthy of more
>TLC especially after a great sail.

We had our Com-Pac 16 for 10 years and really enjoyed it. It was a lot
smaller than a Rhodes 22 but we overnighted on it a few times. They are
very simple and very well built boats but they don't have the comforts and
fitting out of a Rhodes 22. I'd say basic quality was about the same. The
R22 sails a lot better. The broad shoal keel on the Com-Pac 16 doesn't give
it a lot of pointing ability - particularly in light air. There were times
on the Chesapeake in light air that the tidal currents would push that keel
around and there was no way you could go where you wanted to go. The flat
plate rudder stalled easily as well though I understand you can now buy an
aftermarket foiled rudder. The sailplan was small for such a heavy little
boat. We actually start to reef the Rhodes sooner than we would start to
think about changing out the genoa for the jib on the Com-Pac.

Mary Lou