[Rhodes22-list] Measured Hull Speed

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jul 23 11:16:27 EDT 2003

Richard,

I measure my hull speed using a strictly mechanical "Knotstick" (http://www.knotstick.com/) which is often used to calibrate electronic instruments.

Sometimes, when I can't believe the readings, I compare them to my GPS, and attempt to compensate for the speed over land vs. speed through water difference.

I really do consistently get a reading around 6.25 just using my motor at 50% of throttle, when not planing, and not running with the tide.

Roger's is an older hull--is yours older?  Mine is a 1998.  Could there be a difference?

Bill Effros