[Rhodes22-list] Catalina 22 vs. R22

Ronald Lipton lipton at sprynet.com
Thu Jul 24 16:14:44 EDT 2003

My previous boat was a C22.  I chose the Rhodes for several reasons,
none of which were the better windward performance.  I found that the
Rhodes with IMF and the GB 175% genoa was similar to the Catalina.
I would imagine that with a smaller jib, using the inner track, the Rhodes
could outpoint the C22.  That being said I am not unhappy with the windward
performance of the current setup.  My reasons for perferring the R22
are:

1) Easier setup and handling.   I single hand a lot and the IMF and furling
is more important to me that the extra performance I would get from a
battened main and smaller jib. Ease and speed of reefing and furling is
important to me.
2) Better overall construction.  That is clear in a lot of small things.  My
89
Rhodes looks much newer than my 87 C22.  The deck hardware is more
solid, the 9 stay design adds additional relibility.
3) The huge cockpit
4) Ease of service.  I removed, faired and painted, and reinstalled my
centerboard
essentially myself.  It would be a major task for the heavy C22 swing keel.
5) Bells and whistles.  I am a sucker for the varous GB toys (motor lift,
IMF,
pop top design ...).
6) Sails much better in light air with the 175 genoa.
7) The builder has a sense of humor (I think)

Ron