[Rhodes22-list] Estuary Stir-the-Pot

Ralph Zeto ralphzeto at msn.com
Fri Jul 25 09:00:12 EDT 2003

   Lloyd.
    Not in a lifetime!
   Ralph
   S/V Seduction, Albany, NY
   From: "lcrowther"
   To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list"
   Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Estuary Stir-the-Pot
   Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:58:19 -0400
   Richard,
   The Potomac River is also an estuary by your definition (which is
   correct so
   why do they call them the Potomac River and Hudson River?). The tidal
   influence is quite oblivious even above Washington, D.C. Nobody makes
   an
   issue of the 'estuary' definition even though they seem to know they
   have to
   account for the tidal differences in their planning (they have been
   known to
   say the Potomac is a tidal river). I never heard anyone tie the
   venturi
   effect or wind funnel effect, which is quite evident just below D.C.,
   to the
   fact that the Potomac is an estuary. Yet it is accepted that increased
   wind
   velocity will add to or decrease the predicted river tidal depths -
   but then
   so does lots of rain in PA eventually. Do sailors in New York commonly
   refer to the Hudson Estuary?
   Lloyd