[Rhodes22-list] Catalina 22 vs. R22

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 10:33:45 EDT 2003

>From: "Mark Kaynor" <mark at kaynor.org>
>To: <mltroy at netreach.net>,"The Rhodes 22 mail list"
><rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Catalina 22 vs. R22
>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:07:58 -0400
>

>Granted, we're not all that experienced, but I don't believe old sails and
>lack of experience are the total equation. I expect the Portsmouth
>Yardstick
>folks have a reason for rating the Catalina 22 at 96.4 and Rhodes at 98.
>There's no mention anywhere on the US Sailing site of whether the Rhodes'
>98
>is based on a standard main or an IMF main, but I would expect since it's
>listed as "Rhodes Continental", the 98 is for the standard rig.

Portsmouth ratings can be very misleading. Not many people race Rhodes 22,
many race Catalina 22s. So there is a lot of data to establish ratings for
the C22, not much info on the Rhodes 22. Most of the follks that race the
R22 do so as casual racers. Based os the comments from this list and my own
experience sailing against like boats I think the R22 (even with IMF) should
be able to do just fine against a C22.

Wally