[Rhodes22-list] Genoa Cleats

Saroj saroj at pathfind.net
Sat Jul 26 11:09:42 EDT 2003

I'll try to take a picture later to show you my setup, but to be honest it
is totally standard so I doubt pics are even necessary.

Not under sail:  My genoa sheets are first wrapped two times around the
furled sail to help to keep the sail corner from getting caught by a fierce
wind and starting to unwind the can. They then lead outside the shrouds into
the block cars and are then knotted with a figure 8 stopper knot.  Then,
depending on how tightly the furler is wound around, if there is enough
length, I bring the sheet back to the winch and loosely drape it around the
winch -- for tidyness and aesthetics.  Nothing is "held" firm.  The furling
line, which is fully extended in this situation goes through two fair leads
into a single cam cleat on the cabin top.  The line is tidied and draped on
a vertical cleat attached to the cabin bulkhead on the cockpit side of
course. Given all that, it would be very difficult for it to come unfurled.
A jam cleat requires pressure on the line to hold, so if you've got your
furling line going into a jam cleat, then I could see where that would be a
problem.

Hope this helps.

Saroj