[Rhodes22-list] More Outboard Problems

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Jul 28 18:15:37 EDT 2003

Lafingbear,

Yes, it was very exciting!  As a precaution, I tied a lanyard from the spark
plug wrench to my wrist so I wouldn't lose it overboard.  Fortunately, my
spark plug wrench has the rubber insert that grips the plug, so I didn't
have to worry about dropping them overboard.  Under the conditions, it took
about 15 minutes to change two sparkplugs.  Although slow, the spark plug
change was accomplished without incident.  But, I nearly dropped the engine
cowling while attempting to snap it back into position on top of the power
head!

The experience definitely made me think twice about relying on any type of
engine that tends to foul its sparkplugs & had a lot to do with switching
over to 4-cycle power a couple of years later.

My two sons still comment on how scared they were as we were sailing
straight downwind at that breakwater before we gibed off!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium