[Rhodes22-list] Engines...again.

John Tonjes johntonjes at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 13:40:48 EDT 2003

Roger,
OK, so we now know that the four stroke engines do not have a catalytic converter, which makes them already not very environmentally friendly. Catalytic converters were put on vehicles to reduce the effects of acid rain which is a chemical reaction involving the exhausted gases, moisture and sunlight and returns the moisture as acid rain and is also the major cause of smog.
If my college chemistry isn't failing me, the unburned hydrocarbons emitted from 2 stroke engines, although entering the water supply, are simply evaporated by the sunlight in a matter of days. Kind of what happens with an oil slick from a oil tanker that has run aground and broke open. However, I understand that the government mandated additives in the gasoline stay behind. Seems to me you eliminate the additives from the gasoline and it's a toss up as to which engine pollutes more.

Rummy

John Tonjes
johntonjes at earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.