[Rhodes22-list] Welcome to the List!

lcrowther lcrowther at cox.net
Sun Jun 1 21:47:52 EDT 2003

Great idea, Bill.

Lloyd
s/v Uhuru II

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Effros" <bill at effros.com>
To: "R22 List" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 2:52 AM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Welcome to the List!

Michael,

Instead of sending the charter back channel, why not automatically post
something like this to the list every time someone new signs up?  I can't
believe anyone actually reads the charter all the way through before they
ask why we love our boats.

By repeatedly and mechanically posting a welcome, we also remind existing
list members of the rules, the FAQ, the etiquette, and the mechanics without
even a hint of flaming.

Bill

Here's the proposed Text:

We have only 4 main rules we ask you adhere to:

1.  No Religion
2.  Jokes must be labelled in the subject line.
3.  Politics must be labelled in the subject line.
4.  If you change the subject you must also change the subject line.

One of our members has developed an extensive list of Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ).  Please take a look.  He culled the best answers from list
members over an extended period of time, and these answers tend to be more
accurate and carefully written than the answers you will get to questions
that have been hashed and rehashed every time someone new comes on board.
Click here for the FAQ:

Our Charter explains how the list works, and why we bother.  Click here to
see the Charter:

To understand general list etiquette, click here:

To understand list mechanics (including what you must do to leave the list),
click here:

The manufacturer of the Rhodes-22 is part of our family.  Here is the
company web site.  Most of it was written by current list members.  You can
believe what you find here:

It would be nice, but it is certainly not mandatory, if you introduce
yourself to existing list members, and tell us where you will be sailing
from.  We have members all over the country, and many would gladly show you
their boats, take you out for a sail, and tell you anything you might like
to know from a personal perspective.

Some corny sailing metaphor should go here, but I'm not up to deciding which
one,

Michael Meltzer
Keeper of The Rhodes-22 Email List