[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Tohatsu...second try.

Richard Smith sail.nut2 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 1 22:47:00 EDT 2003

> How do you think it would do on a inland lake?  6hp is
> a little low for the area.>

Not knowing the size of the lake I can only make a generality.  It would
probably be fine.  I have to deal with swells/chop and strongish sea breezes
neither of which should affect you.

<And could you tell me how the shifter works (i.e the location of the
control).>

It's on the port side of the engine ... a vertical lever that moves fore and
aft with detents to identify forward/neutral/reverse.

It's important to keep heavy objects off the extreme ends of the boat.
Particularly the Rhodes which lacks a heavy keel to centralize it's mass.
The larger 8/9 hp outboards weigh about 90 lbs.  Much to heavy to hang off
the stern of a 3,000 lb 22 foot boat (in my estimation)  It's possible that
the massive 90 lb motors encourage hobby horsing  and cavitation and are to
a degree self defeating.

< with allot of extra credit for the big slow turning
> props and an extra long shaft to handle waves.>

The famous British Seagull developed only 6 hp in their largest model and
could push just about anything afloat.  Sad to say...there is no modern
outboard that is properly geared for a heavy small cruiser like the Rhodes.

 BTW are you using a "standard" sliding GB lift? >

I have one and it's far and away the best lift around.  Nothing else comes
close.

> looking on the list) and get a new(recycled ;-) motor that more your size.
in fact I think Stan was even will to make a deal(s) and
> Elton is making weekly runs thought the area. Just thinking out loud.>

If you can avoid the shipping expense take a used medium size 2 stroke form
Stan ...you are risking little and it may well serve your purpose.

You have purchased a sailboat.  In many cases you will be safer and travel
faster and more comfortably under sail then power.  Always remember this!!

Richard Smith