[Rhodes22-list] Higher winds

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Mon Jun 2 14:58:05 EDT 2003

Tom,

Niether are we - if it hadn't been a race I doubt we'd have gone out. Last
year we bailed out of an early race when the wind got up to about 15-20
because we had no experience in winds over 15 and didn't know what to do. We
certainly could have handled that last weekend and were actually looking
forward to it. NOAA said 15-25 in the afternoon, building to 20-30 late in
the day. The race started at 2:00 pm and we definitely weren't expecting to
see gusts approaching 40 mph. I really want to build our skills and
confidence and, now that we've done it and recognize that we had some
problems, we want to go out and experiment and practice when we can so we do
better next time.

I expect were were trying to sail too close to the wind for the conditions
and had too much main out. When I did fall off, we did fine until those
gusts hit us. Then we got rounded up w/ no choice in the matter.

Mark