[Rhodes22-list] Higher winds

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 15:36:02 EDT 2003

Mark,

I've heard it said that the R22 is manageable in winds up to 27.  Beyond
that, well...you were there.  If it's gusting above 30, I bail out.  But I
agree that we should all gain the experience of handling the boat, one way
or the other, under those conditions.  I am surprised too that you were able
to point and tack with jib alone.  I usually opt for just the opposite--full
or somewhat reefed main and only a hanky of a jib.

Slim