[Rhodes22-list] Higher winds

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Jun 3 09:22:21 EDT 2003

Michael,

We've got a new headsail w/ a luff pad and have been very happy with it's
performance both furled and unfurled. Our main, OTOH, is the original 1988
Lee Sails main. It's pretty baggy. When I tighten the outhaul all the way
and tighten the main sheet, the sail definitely doesn't flatten. In fact,
the leech gets nice and tight and the sail becomes a nice wind catching bag.
Hence the thought that if we raise the boom a bit w/ the outhaul, the looser
leech would allow it to spill more air.

We've started having problems getting it fully furled because the clew is so
low the foot of the sail starts rubbing on the boom slide assembly at about
2/3 furled and the sail bunches and wrinkles the rest of the way in. We can
mitigate that somewhat by raising the boom to just slightly above level when
we furl and not applying much tension to the outhaul as we furl, but I'm
thinking it's probably time for a new main.

Maybe someone who has replaced a baggy IMF main with a new one can tell me -
does it really make all that much difference?

Mark Kaynor