[Rhodes22-list] Higher winds

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Jun 3 09:42:10 EDT 2003

Bob,

Thanks for your comments. And you're right about learning something from our
experience w/ Chapmans. I think before our trip we would have been way more
intimidated by those winds than we were on Saturday. As it was, after
reviewing our actions and trying to learn a more effective way of doing
things after the race, we decided to go back out on Sunday in conditions we
previously would have avoided to put what we'd read into practice and see
how we could improve.

It's interesting to me that since the offshore course we have a slightly
different mindset about sailing now. We didn't encounter any high winds or
really stressful situations on our trip, but something happened - we
definitely have more confidence in our abilities than we had before. In the
past, if the winds were outside our comfort zone, we'd likely stay ashore.
Now, we're willing to stretch the comfort zone - we're more confident and
are wanting to practice and learn how to deal with stressful situations so
we'll be safer and more capable sailors. If we got nothing else from
Chapman's, that alone would make the course worth it to us.

Mark Kaynor