[Rhodes22-list] Motors with electric start

David Rasberry cinetics at acsinc.net
Tue Jun 3 01:18:29 EDT 2003

Rob,

The motor charger will not fully recharge a deeply discharged battery. You
need to back it up with the shore charger once a month or so to insure a
full charge and protect the battery from premature failure due to sulfation
build up. The advantage of a solar charger is that it works any time there
is some sunlight. As an example, a typical deep cycle group 27 battery will
be rated at around 85 amp hours. You have to put about 120% of discharge
amperage back into the battery to bring it to full charge. If you discharge
to 50% capacity, the typical 3 amp charger provided on small outboards will
have to run for 20 hours or so to fully recharge the battery. An 80% charged
battery will show a room temperature voltage of about 12.8v, which is higher
than most batteries at my marina ever see.  12.2 volts is approx. 50%
discharge, 10.5 volts is fully discharged. If voltage ever drops below 12
volts, you need to give it 10 to 20 hours on a 10 amp two or three stage
automatic charger to fully charge and equalize all cells. After charging,
check and top off the water, and let it cool down a few hours. Finish
voltage will be between 12.9 and 13.2 for a healthy battery.