[Rhodes22-list] Bill E where is Brooklyn

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Jun 7 11:11:38 EDT 2003

Frank,

On the far west side of Manhattan (NJ) there are a number of places.  "Port Imperial" has 300 slips and a ferry service that takes you to 38th St. in NYC.  From the ferry on the NY side they have free bus service that makes a loop through mid town and lower Manhattan--you can get on and off.  Also the free bus will take you to other ferry landings that will allow you to get to Brooklyn (probably where you were trying to go in the first place.)

The Chelsea Piers on the West Side keep changing their rules.  Sometimes you can get in, sometimes you can't.  Same with the 79th Street Boat Basin, also on the West Side.

On the East Side you can sometimes get into the South Street Seaport, and usually into the New York Skyports Marina at 23rd Street.  Our boats are so small they can usually find a place for us.  At $2 a foot per day it's a good deal for NYC.  The problem is timing your entry.  The current isn't as bad at the mouth of the East "River" as it is further north, but there is still a trick to it, and you want to enter with the tide, not against it.

Coming from Newburg, I would be inclined to stay at Port Imperial.  Safe.  Well maintained.  Decent upscale restaurant on the premises.  Plenty of slips.  Frequent ferry service continuing until midnight or so.   Spectacular view of NYC.

Bill Effros