[Rhodes22-list] spreader cap/rigging

bgreenwald at optonline.net bgreenwald at optonline.net
Tue Jun 10 14:23:58 EDT 2003

As part of my (delayed) spring commissioning, I will have to replace my upper sidestay that I damaged last fall putting the boat to bed. I have the new stay and, weather permitting, will install it in the next few days.  The rigging shop moved the spreader cap (not sure if there is a technical name for it) to the new stay but it is doubtless in the wrong position.  My question is whether there is any special technique to be followed in positioning the cap prior to raising the mast.  I assume that I can manually take most of the slack out of the stay between the masthead and the spreader and fit the cap on at that point and "loosely"  tighten it but I know that when I raise the mast I will find the spreaders out of whack.  I haven't had much success in the past adjusting the spreaders once the mast is up although I know this is supposed to be possible.  Also, I want to make sure that it is close enough to right that I don't cause any sort of binding while raising.  Any suggest
ions?  Thanks in advance.

Bruce Greenwald
S/V Ruach II