[Rhodes22-list] LBI

Jay Friedland a.jayf at verizon.net
Tue Jun 17 16:38:55 EDT 2003

Bill,
Besides the "miracle" of co-operative weather on a weekend, Sunday, 1/4
mi. north of where we sailed another "miracle" took place, or at least
sign that all is right with the world. We spotted a bottle-nose dolphin
or porpoise (dark gray?) off portside 20 yds. away. When I thought I
had passed by him, I tacked back, and now he popped up 10 feet off
starbd stern following us. I think we'll get some pictures out of this,
maybe his fin and more. In 20+ yrs. I've been sailing here, I've never
seen anything this big (sea turtles, brown sharks, etc.) or exotic in
the bay. I'm sure he's lost, or following blues or maybe, the warmest
water locally. As the powerboats zoomed by, they never would have
spotted him. The Rhodes and being in the right place at the right time
made the difference.

Anyhow, really appreciated our short time together. I was lucky to get
my bottom painting done on the hoist at GBI, although during 2 visits
there the temp inside was 40°+, too cold to paint. It's nice working at
shoulder height though-are you working on jacks.

I reflected more on intuitive vs. textbook sailing for the R22. I hope
to challenge my more laid back approach to push the experimentation
more. Conveying it to Rob Baldi always helps me clarify it. A previous
R22 owner up in Loveladies has considerable experience taking the
Rhodes out Barnegat Inlet- one of the most treacherous passageways on
the East Coast. Rob and I hope to enlist him in our first stage of
sailing around the island. I'll let you know of our adventures, and
keep in mind your fall schedule to sail before your trip to Japan.

regards,
Jay