[Rhodes22-list] Tiller broken

Jack Goldberg j_goldberg at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 17:36:20 EDT 2003

Alas another tale of woe.
When I arrived at my '84 boat yesterday I was dismayed to see my tiller
lying on the cockpit floor. It had been cracked off at the wingnut bolt
which attached it to the rudder. I can only assume the someone lost control
of their boat and hit my tiller.  Since the tiller was tied to keep it
centered, the tiller was the weakest link and cracked.
Questions.
What is the downside to shortening the tiller by the amount cracked off
(about 4 inches) and drill a new hole to attach to the rudder or is a new
tiller in order?
On the Faq board I noted that Roger had quoted some replacement tillers from
the M&E catalog. Is there one particular model I should be looking at? They
have one for a Santana 22.
Does General boats still carry the original tiller for 84 boats?

Jack M. Goldberg,