[Rhodes22-list] Anchor rode fairleads

Richard Smith sail.nut2 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 30 22:29:00 EDT 2003

<How do I know hard twine when I see it?>

West Marine and Defender in their cordage section which will have suitable
materials.  I prefer waxed string but there are alternatives.

< What  is the recommenced method of application.>

It's called "whipping".  One simply winds the cord around the rope.  The
cord which is easily replace takes the abrasion and protects the more
expensive underlying rope.  Their are many ways to whip a line.  It mainly
has to due with preventing the whipping from unwrapping and of course the
cosmetics of the procedure. Any book on marlinspike seamanship will suggest
several ways and I am sure a web search will disclose many more.

Richard Smith