[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Fwd: FW: Rhodes 22 trailer - rusting

Michael Meltzer mjm@michaelmeltzer.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:58:33 -0500

I put the attachment inline:

MJM

-----Original Message-----
From: Triadtrls@aol.com [mailto:Triadtrls@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 2:37 PM
To: Bruce Greenwald
Subject: Re: Rhodes 22 trailer

Hello Bruce,

Unfortunately the axle manufacturer coats the axles with a very
tacky/stick black paint that is very difficult to paint over.  This
black paint does not have any rust protection qualities.  We do try to
wire brush the paint away and then coat it with a zinc rich paint (I
assume your trailer is galvanized).  I noticed for the first time when I
was traveling to Chicago with a trailer that when I got to Chicago the
paint on the front of the axle was gone.  I sanded the axle down and
repainted it again with zinc rich spray.

Structurally I believe your axle will be fine for many years to come
however if you keep after the rust you will prolong the rust effect.
The trailer springs are the hard part and you will never be able to
spray between the leaf springs.  My suggestion is to sand away the rust
spots and then spray it with a zinc rich primer spray.  Rustoleum sells
a zinc rich primer.  I recommend zinc rich primer because it is as close
to a galvanized process as you can get.  I was told 5 coats of a zinc
rich spray is equal to a hot dip galvanized process.  Good luck and
please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,
Michael Orro
President
Triad Trailers Ltd.