[Rhodes22-list] More Newbie Questions

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:37:00 -0500

Jim,

Interesting review in latest Pratical Sailor on motors. Seems that
Mercury, Nissan and Tohatsu are all built by the same
manufacture....Tohatsu. They also have the lowest list price of the
three. Interestingly, the Johnson 4 hp is actually a Suzuski and the
higher end Mercury is a hybred with Yamaha motor and Mercury gearbox.
Tohatsu was also the lightest motors in their hp range most of the time.

You've made Rummy happy. He's a Tohatsu booster.  The depthsounders are
usually overrated for the Rhodes. What is the worst thing that can
happin? You run aground and pull your board up and go on. That is
especailly true here in NC whre we have nothing but mud and sand
bottoms. Now if you were in Maine or a rockey coastal area, then maybe
it would do some good.

We have a Windex 15 that's mounted on the aft side of the mast, with a
Std/Horizon 150 electronic wind speed/direction transducer mounted on
the fwd side of the masthead. Both are mounted on the masthead, which is
drilled and tapped vertically. The bolts are secured with locknuts and
do not pass down into the path of the halyards. This is overkill since
we can see the fwd windvane and didn't need the one on the back side of
the mast, but Pamela insisted she could see and interpit it better than
the electronic display. Gotta keep her happy.

Alex