[Rhodes22-list] True confessions........topic: woodwork.

Jay Friedland a.jayf@verizon.net
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:22:39 -0500

Rummy-
I must be the fool in the group. Not only did I get the last boat Stan
swore he would do with wood trim, but I added teak toe rails the full
length, except for midship cleat track. My ladder also has teak rungs,
but I also would always rather sail than maintain.

I originally tried Cetol, after oils,etc. but found although it held
the season, it didn't look natural-too orange. The spin-off company
Armada, has their version-I use the Satin Wood finish, which is more
brown, looks greenish grey in the can. It is much closer to teak's
natural appearance. I've used it 6 years with minimum touch-up during
my 8-9 month season of exposure, only where chafing hits, etc. I've
never taken the wood back to bare and unless there's any moisture or
natural oil underneath, one or two coats is it with minimal or no
sanding. Touch ups are easy to blend in, the grain shows through
significantly even though it's a pigment base, which is the UV
protection. Like all urethanes, it levels easily, and inexpensive foam
brushes work well.

I absolutely love varnish, and I use the Z-spar Captain's Varnish on
the tiller with 8-12 coats over West epoxy to seal it (also makes it
less subject to cracking from stress). But in our neck, I would never
try this outdoors. I actually use a standing garment bag as a drying
enclosure. What type of spar varnish did you use? If it works, is easy
to apply with good drying conditions, that would be my best choice.
Most people don't recommend it on teak because of these factors, plus
teak needs to be absolutely stripped of any internal oils with acetone
so coatings don't lift, plus touch-ups are a bitch.

Practical Sailors this month changed their focus on testing coatings to
best within types because appearance was most people's criteria for
what they used, with longevity and ease of application after that. My
stuff isn't listed, but hey, that's PS-they have representative
products, and used Armada's MC2000 Synthetic, a sealer.
Jay