[Rhodes22-list] True confessions........topic: woodwork.

lcrowther lcrowther@cox.net
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:23:34 -0500

Rummy,

Last April (2002) I applied Cetol Marine Light to my tiller and sent a
couple of messages to the group discussing the same.  In June I did the rest
of the teak woodwork because I liked the results on the tiller.  A couple of
weeks ago I went over to my marina to see what hell all the snow hast
wrought.  The woodwork still looks just about as good as the day I put the
CML on.

I'll be the first to agree that Cetol and Cetol Marine Light are different
dogs, as is the WM version of Cetol in all likelihood.  The Light doesn't
turn orange like the original, that being the reason I bought the Light in
the first place.  Anyhow my dog still hunts; I guess that's why dog shows
are so popular.

Lloyd
s/v Uhuru II

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Tonjes" <johntonjes@earthlink.net>
To: "Rhodes org. owners list" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>; "Sailnet Rhodes
List" <Rhodes-List@sailnet.net>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 2:07 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] True confessions........topic: woodwork.

About two years ago we were all discussing our different methods of taking
care of the teak trim and our favorite brands. Some used the traditional
teak oil method while others opted for the cetol. I on the other hand chose
to use the WM version of cetol in gloss. I am happy to report that the
product is a complete bust. After carefully preparing the wood I applied
three layers with tender loving care. In less than a year more than 50% of
the product had come off and needed refinishing, but being one that would
rather sail than work on the boat I waited another year.
I have sanded back down to the original teak and this year I'm putting four
coats of Spar Varnish on it. Last year I replaced the kick plate in the
cockpit with a piece of teak that I finished with varnish and after one year
it looks great.
I know everyone says not to varnish teak, but it looks great and so far has
held up very well. The varnish I am using has ten times the UV protection
that standard varnish has, so that might explain why it's holding up.
I was just wondering how the other products are doing that were used?

Rummy