[Rhodes22-list] True confessions........topic: woodwork.

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:38:24 -0500

Alex,Rummy,

Regarding putting epoxy down before varnish; I agree with your experts. I
have had great results with a product called Clear Penetrating Epoxy
Sealant. It is a two part epoxy that is designed only as a wood "primer".
Just about anything you paint on over CPES adheres better plus CPES can help
strnegthen the wood. I first learned of the product on a Wooden Boat Forum.
Many great reviews on that board.

http://www.rotdoctor.com/index.html#1

I ordered on line after doing a bunch of research. Wood purist do not like
using epoxy but it works really well. CPES is an awesome product and I have
used on my wooden boat. It darkens wood very slightly and the wood really
soaks this stuff up deep. I used the injection kit to inject CPES into some
soft spots around the CB Trunk. I then covered with LayUp and Laminating
Resin. It works very well and it is a little pricey. West doesn't really
have a product that comes close to CPES.

On the R22 I have been using Teak Oil. I am getting ready to redo my tiller.
My tiller looks like crap. Once I get to bare wood I will put on two coats
of CPES then add several coats of varnish.

Warning this stuff is very toxic ....

Wally