[Rhodes22-list] centerboard report

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:56:17 -0500

Thought I would report back to the list on our findings and what we've
decided to do.

You may recall, we found a couple of surprises when we removed the
centerboard trunk cap.  Attached are 3 pics. One shows the trunk with the
cap off looking forward. The second shows the trunk with the cap off
looking aft. the third show the rather unique plug in the top of the
centerboard trunk cap.

After some consultation with Stan and some poking about with a flashlight
and mirrors this is what we've determined:

For some unknown reason (repair?, improvement?) a "washer" or plate of some
sort of composite material was epoxied or glued to the centerboard trunk
lip. That's the white plate you see around the centerboard trunk opening.
The gasket (which is in great shape) was on top of the white plate. This
plate is really well fastened to the centerboard trunk lip and is very
solid. The plate is slightly thinker than the lip of the centerboard trunk.
With a mirror you can see where the epoxy or glue completely filled the old
bolt holes in the lip to the point of forming "stalactites" under the holes
and was squished out at the exterior edges.

This repair/improvement/reinforcement has never leaked. The glue/epoxy and
the plate material show no sign of deterioration. Therefore we have decided
to let sleeping dogs lie and will not attempt to free the centerboard. Stan
suggested and we agree after careful inspection that it would probably not
be too big a job to cut through the plate to extend the opening forward to
where the centerboard could be freed. This should not compromise the
integrity of the assembly as the plate seems to be fastened so securely to
the lip. That said, we don't have any real problems that require the
removal of the centerboard. We can replace the pennant while we have it
apart. We'll also paint the upper portion of the board that is exposed with
the trunk cap off. Maybe later in the season we'll get the marina to haul
the boat with the lift so we can paint the rest of the board. The only
thing we can't do is clean out and paint the interior of the trunk but it
doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.

We will fiberglass over the hole in the top of the centerboard trunk cap.
Stan says that the top of the cap is above water unless you are "motoring
at high speed"(?) but the plug is really shot and didn't fit very well in
any event because the centerboard in the up position is so close to the top
of the cap.

I do think we'll leave the interior disassembled until after we've launched
just to make sure we haven't created any leaks.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this.

Mary Lou & Fred
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD
Name: Centerboard cap off1.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 180293 bytes Desc: not available

Name: Centerboard cap off 2.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 168078 bytes Desc: not available

Name: Centerboard cap plug.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 161566 bytes Desc: not available