[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Repair Question

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:12:20 -0500

The guy I purchased my boat from had painted resin or epoxy on the tiller
handle. It looks like crap and it is peeling and turning yellow. Also two of
the wood layers are seperating. I wanted to sail last year so I put off
tiller repairs untill Spring.

Now that warm weather has arrived I can start hitting it with varnish. I
sanded down to bare wood yesterday and the tiller looks great. I have about
a 8 inch split in between two of the layers of wood. I am sure this is why
the PO applied expoy coat. The job was not done properly and I want to
reseal the split area.

The gap is very small and it will be hard to fill in the space with epoxy. I
think this is what the PO tried but he wasn't able to seal it off. He only
epoxied the outer edge and it seperated after time. I want to try and epoxy
the inside of the split and then clamp the tiller until epoxy sets. I was
also thinking of using a screw(s) from the bottom of the tiller to help draw
the wood together. I will then varnish with several coats of Z Spar.

Is there a better way to do this repair? I was really surprised to find out
how nice the wood looked under all that opaque epoxy.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips!

Wally