[Rhodes22-list] Transformation of the left

Rik Sandberg sanderico@earthlink.net
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:20:05 -0500

This is a section of the article I linked. I can't say it a lot better than
this. Just who the hell is the bad guy here??? I have been waiting for a
while now for a pacifist to give me a reasonable alternative to taking Saddam
Hussein out. Doing nothing, in my mind is not a reasonable alternative. I
have yet to hear any, other than we just can't start a war, it isn't right. I
think it's about time somebody had balls enough to start a war. I just wish
they'd have gotten the job done 12 years ago. They were already there, they
could have just as well finished.

"I read these stories of intimidation, humiliation, murder and systematic
subjugation, and I come away puzzled. Many of us on the left are preoccupied
with cataloging the mendacity of the White House, or lamenting the
ineffectuality of the Democrats; we spend hours researching how Republican
officials or their cronies did deals with Saddam or how the impending war is
a cynical ploy for taking Iraq's rich oil fields. Of course it is essential
to document these failures and misdeeds and to work relentlessly to hold
these people accountable. Still, none of that addresses the issues raised by
the red cell. None of these address the fact that Saddam, by some counts, is
blamed for a million deaths.

 What are we doing to make sure that not another woman is raped or beheaded
as a form of political terror? What are we doing to make sure that not
another man is humiliated and rendered mute and powerless as the ex-general
was? What are we doing to shut down the headquarters of General Intelligence?
In the community of human rights monitors, work toward these goals is heroic
and often dangerous. These would seem also to be urgent goals for all who
consider themselves progressive. But for the most part, in all the angry
debate over the war, the left rarely discusses these issues. We acknowledge
Saddam as a ruthless dictator and lament his human rights abuses, but we
focus our rage on Bush. "

Rik