[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Goering on Going to War

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:10:52 -0500

>From: Bill Berner <bberner@optonline.net>
>To: 'The Rhodes 22 mail list' <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
>Subject: RE: [Rhodes22-list] Politics: Goering on Going to War
>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:27:03 -0500

>>I would argue that US foreign policy is not guided by humanitarian
>>concerns,
>but strategic interests.  When the two happen to coincide, that's great,
>when it doesn't, too bad.

>Franklin was our attaché to France.  I'll paraphrase - Diplomatic relations
>are only based on mutual self interest, not doing whats right.
>
>I don't think things have changed much.

Bill,

I couldn't agree more. We clearly have made many military strike decisons
based on percieved positive return to this country. If there is no percieved
gain we pass. There are exceptions of course but for the most part we make
war/nation building policy on what is good for the U.S. If any one else
benfits that is gravy.

Some would argue that we SHOULD only do what is best for us. It kind of
makes sense. But then again when one only acts in their own self interest
100% of the time they make and keep few friends. They are considered
selfish.

I wish our troops the best and hope this thing doesn't drag on. I am really
worried that the nerve gas is coming. Of course that would prove Iraq has
weapons of mass destruction. Saddam is so tricky he could have all of the
WMD buried so deep we will never find any evidence.

Then what?

Wally