[Rhodes22-list] Re: Help me decide if a Rhodes 22 is for me.

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 13:00:30 EDT 2003

Clyde,
The Rhodes is not the easiest boat to trailer for a lot of reasons, weight
and rigging being two of them, but it is the best trailerable sailboat you
will find if sailing characteristics, seaworthiness and comfort are
important to you.  It does not have water ballast, which makes it heavier
than some other boats (3,000 lb min.) and it has nine stays which adds to
set-up time, but those two aspects are more positive than negative.  The
Rhodes sails beautifully - I sailed a fixed keel Catalina 25 a couple months
ago and hated it!  The rigging also makes for a sturdy boat.  I lost three
stays when sailing a few months ago when my spreader came loose, but I still
has six more holding up the mast - that was a relief.

I have taken my R-22 to south Florida twice in the past two years (650 miles
each way) to the Punta Gorda area on the west coast.  When it comes to
trailer vehicles, the bigger the better!  Mine trailers fine with a V-6
Toyota 4Runner, but I have to have enough tongue weight to prevent
fishtailing, but not too much or my steerage becomes a problem due to the
relatively small size of my tow vehicle.  Next time, I will go for a larger
vehicle, because it is difficult to tow the Rhodes and have my whole family
(4) in the vehicle with luggage, etc.  The 4Runner has a 5,000 lb towing
capacity and the R-22 is likely 4,000-4,200 lb with trailer.  So, your
Explorer should be fine, but if you load it up with people and luggage you
might want an Expedition instead.  That said, I just got back a couple of
weeks ago and trailered it by myself and it was fine.

As for cruising in Florida, it is a great boat even in salt water!  I've
been in 20 knot winds and 1-2 foot seas and the boat is solid.  My cruising
has been in the ICW and bays like Charlotte Harbor, so if you go out in the
ocean and have 2-4 foot seas, it is still only a 22 foot boat, but it is far
heavier and better built than most other trailerable sailboats. The fact
that it does not have water ballast makes it far superior to McGregors and
Catalinas in how it sails.  But, it really is only good for two people (in
my opinion) for sleeping, especially with the marine head configuration that
cuts into the V-berth.  Of course, there is always the boom room option.  I
was talking to a McGregor owner at the boat ramp in Florida while we waited
45 minutes for his water ballast to drain.  He has more room in his 26
footer than we do, but it heels quite a lot and I'm sure does not sail
anywhere near as well as a Rhodes.  While sailing down there, my wife
noticed that we did not see any other boats in the 22 foot range, but our
boat drew constant attention and many compliments.

I could go on, but the features and quality of the R-22 make it the best
trailerable that I have ever seen.  Yes, I wish it had a second cabin for my
kids, but then it would not be a 22 foot trailerable if it did.

Good luck - there's lots of info available on the web.
Bob K
s/v Yankee Clipper