[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Fw: TAXES !

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri May 2 11:52:44 EDT 2003

Lloyd,

Thanks for the disclaimer.  As I think you know, my real point is only that we all think a little about what we are sending out, and spend a little time trying to find out if information presented and forwarded as "factual" is "true" as that term is commonly understood.  Then we can meaningfully discuss how we interpret the facts.

This piece is harder to fact check--I can't do it from memory.  Some of it looks right.

The point, as I understand it, is that we should save taxpayer money by cutting out all foreign aid and UN support because the recipients of our aid vote against us most of the time.

The problem with the piece is that the largest single aid recipient is Israel which receives almost 1/2 the total--over $6 billion a year.  They, of course, vote with us almost all the time.  There are many anti-Israel groups campaigning for totally stopping foreign aid because Israel has more to lose than anyone else.

Columbia also receives a lot of aid from us--probably more than any other nation on the list below, with the exception of Egypt.  Columbia votes with us most of the time.  I can't find Egypt's voting record, but I would be surprised to find they voted against us 79% of the time.

Meanwhile, there are benefits from having all the diplomats in NYC where we can easily keep track of what they are doing and saying.

Also there are benefits from being able to yank aid from nations that displease us and have become dependent on our aid.  We did this to Yemen recently.  That snapped everyone else into shape, and resulted in the 15-0 Security Council vote in our favor in November--a victory widely reported to have been based on our threats to yank aid from any country that voted against us.

So it's kind of a mixed bag.  Does the writer of the piece want to yank Israel's aid?  Egypt's aid was a payoff for recognizing Israel.  Colombia's aid is a payoff for fighting drugs in Colombia instead of waiting for them to get here.  And so it goes.  Making all these countries dependent on us has its advantages.  Is it worth it?  You tell me.

Bill Effros