[Rhodes22-list] sailing dinghy

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 5 12:21:22 EDT 2003

Brad,

My motorized dinghy was just an afterthought.  I had a $99 trolling motor in the basement, and a small -- the smallest size in WM -- 12 volt battery in the sunporch.  Putting them together I was surprised they did so well.  My boat is 1/2 mile from where I launch my dinghy.  I steer the dinghy by leaning -- it will go in the direction opposite the lean -- for amusement.  The amount of electricity used is insignificant.  The trip takes maybe 5 minutes.  At first I was recharging the battery after every use.  Then I realized that was completely unnecessary.  I don't use it that often, because I prefer to row.  I charge the battery at the beginning of the season and leave it at that.  If the battery seems to be running low I will probably recharge from the batteries on board -- with 2 batteries on a Rhodes you have much more electricity than you need.

Bill Effros