[Rhodes22-list] TN River 45 year flood level (pic)

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 05:39:53 EDT 2003

Wally,

My other boat arrived in Pickwick yesterday.  I have
to wait for the bank to open this morning and then
meet the driver and oversee the rigging.  It might be
prudent to stop by my marina and check access to the
dock before leaving the marina where the boat is being
lifted of the trailer (about 3 miles away).  I would
have met him yesterday but I got called out to fly an
extra trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Newark;  100,000
pounds of flowers going to New York for Mothers Day.
I did buy the Tennessee River cruising book you
mentioned.  Save me a spot at your marina, I'm on the
way!

Brad
--- Wally Buck <tnrhodey at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We have had a bunch of rain all week and the TN
> River is at the second
> highest level since TVA was established. I was at my
> friend’s lake property
> and his dock was 3 feet under water. It is normally
> 3 or 4 feet above normal
> spring water levels. There were boats floating down
> the river with no one in
> them. The water level is up so much the boats were
> floated out of their lift
> slings. I saw two pontoon boats that were crushed
> against the ceiling of
> their slips.
>
> I went over to my marina to check out my boat. The
> boat was fine (floating
> docks) and all drains were doing their job. Blue
> Springs Marina is ¾ of a
> mile off the main channel and normally quite
> protected. Attached pics are of
> the marina. The water did not come inside but came
> right up to the doorway.
> Pics show the ice machines and AC unit under water.
> You can see the painted
> parking lines under water. One pic shows the walkway
> from shore to the
> marina slips. There are two of these walkways and
> they were both 5 feet
> under water. The only way to get to the dock was
> through the marina office.
> The last pic shows a bunch of motor cruisers that
> are sitting on stands
> ready for bottom jobs. Those boats are not floating!
>
> As I was heading out to leave it dawned on me that
> it was after 6 PM and the
> office was closed and locked. The other two walkways
> were under water. I
> headed back to my boat and was thankful I still had
> 4 cold beers and some
> peanut butter crackers. I was getting ready to call
> me wife and tell her I
> was spending the night on the boat when I decided to
> try my hand held to try
> to call the marina owners. They live in a house
> right next store to the
> marina. I got Larry on the radio and he came over
> and let me out. He told me
> the water level was almost a foot higher on
> Wednesday.
>
> The forecast for this weekend looks interesting, low
> 80s with 15 – 25 winds!
>
> Wally

> Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months
> FREE*.
> > Name: bluespringswalkway.JPG Type: image/pjpeg
Size:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200305/09/bluespringswalkway.bin
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200305/09/bluespringsmarinaflood.bin
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200305/09/bluespringflood.bin