[Rhodes22-list] Windspeed/wind direction indicators

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 20:25:45 EDT 2003

Ric,

Kiss - I agree! I sail inland waters not the ocean. I can see the value in
some electronics when sailing unknown waters or coastal cruising. If I was
heading out to new waters I would get a depth meter and GPS.

You want KISS - I have none of the below:

Auto Pilot - I use a roap tiller tamer run from stern cleat around tiller to
stern cleat.

GPS - I sail on a river that has mile markers every couple of a miles. I
have to drink a lot of beer to get lost. I have a compass and charts but
seldom use either. I do plan on purchasing a GPS though. I can use it for
sailing and back packing.

Depth Gauge - I have charts and use my CB as a depth gauge. I also have some
pretty good knowledge of local waters. I would consider adding one if
trailoring to new waters.

Knot meter - No real need

Wind Gauge - I don't care what the wind speed is. There are plenty of
indicators to estimate if needed.

Wind Vane - I do think there is value in a wind vane. I go the simple route
with tape.

Electrical systems I do have:

10 AMP Dual Battery charger  2 group 24 batteries - needed to run blender
and stereo!

Cabin Lights, Nav lights, tri-color anchor light - I do enjoy a little night
cruising

Hand Held UHF/Weather Radio - I have used it twice in the first year; once
to  hail a buddy to meet me for party raft up, second time to radio marina
owner.

AM/FM Weather Radio - small back up, needed to listen to sports

Cambridge Stereo Speakers and mini CD Player - I use this every time I sail,
best piece of electronics on board

Fresh water pump - Original one burnt out, I replaced it with a slightly
larger self priming pump.

400 Watt Invertor - Needed to drive blender for Jenny's frozen drinks. I
have also run lap top.

Mini 12 volt air pump - needed to inflate rafts for floating, critical on
hot days!

My electrical system is designed to drive a blender and power my stereo for
three days and nights. It has worked well so far. :-)

Wally