[Rhodes22-list] advice sought

Larry Abbott laabbott at cushing.org
Mon May 26 10:11:13 EDT 2003

Greetings, I am new to the list and seeking some advice.  I formerly owned
a 19 ft. O'Day mariner and I'm looking to move up.  I'll be looking at a
1979 Rhodes 22 Continental sloop.  It has been sitting in the owner's yard
under  a tarp for 3 years.  He inherited it and doesn't have much info. on
it.  Before the 3 year storage he says it was all fine.  He did mention
some soggy carpet (cockpit?).  Beyond that it supposed to be "all there"
(rigging-wise, sails, etc.).  It has no trailer and is on stands.  So . .
. what are the high points/weak points of this model?  What should I look
for/look out for?  Short of getting a Uni-matic trailer can any
properly-sized trailer be used?  The trailer would be used to get it home
(100 miles) and then for seasonal use and winter storage.  Can the mast
raising system be used on this model?  the motor lift?  The asking price
is $4,700. with 9.9 motor but no trailer.  Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, Larry Abbott; reply directly if you wish; laabbott at cushing.org