[Rhodes22-list] advice sought

Dennis J Sitler djsitler at gmpexpress.net
Mon May 26 22:11:08 EDT 2003

Hi Larry,
Just something to think about. Two years ago I bought a 1974 Rhodes and
trailer in Cape Cod for $3500. The boat had a 1999 8hp Nisson outboard, a 50
watt solar panel, radio, cheap inflatable, and the jib was only 1 year old.
The exterior was nice the interior was not real nice. The trailer was a dual
axle, galvanized, with four brand new trailer tires. I sailed the boat
before I purchased it and seemed ok. After getting it home I found that the
wood under the floor wasn't very good and the floatation that was suppose to
be in the bow wasn't. I removed everything from the hatchway to the bow and
replaced, but not quite to original layout. I just finished fixing the
center board and the rudder that was poorly fixed before and was coming
apart, and the list goes on. I am hoping to get in the water by mid June.
Make sure you check under everything you can get to, and how are you at
working on boats. Knowing what I do now I would have waited another six
months to year and bought either a rebuilt from Stan or a 1990 or newer.
Remember that no matter how much time or parts you put in a old boat it is
still a old boat, and working on a boat gets old real quick. If you have any
specific questions I will help you if I can.

Denny
1974 Rhodes 22 " Gossamer Wing"