[Rhodes22-list] Mast hoist system

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Tue May 27 14:53:36 EDT 2003

Bob,

The only time there is really any sheering force on the winch pedestal is
if a shroud would happen to tangle when the mast is almost all the way up
and the winch is getting close to horizontal. If one is careful not to
allow this to happen, or at least catches any tangles before he loads up
the pressure, if it does happen, there is no reason to have a problem. As
with most thing though, if one does not want to pay close attention, one
could get into trouble. It's quite simple to stand and crank the winch
handle and watch your shrouds, etc. while the mast is going up.

While the mast does usually swing out to one side a bit while raising, if
you know that it will only go "so far" a nice steady cranking speed works
just fine. One doesn't have to be in a big hurry. Take time to make sure
that nothing is hanging up during your lift. It works best if you have
adjusted the lower stays (the ones you have attached to the forward cabin
top chain plates), quite snug when you start. The snugger you have them,
the less the mast will move to the side before the upper shrouds take over
and start pulling it back to the center again.

Rik