[Rhodes22-list] That Bahamas Trip

NAPOLI51950 at aol.com NAPOLI51950 at aol.com
Wed May 28 02:58:15 EDT 2003

So did you decide to make the crossing?  The advice you rec'd from Bill
Effros was sound, I know I made the crossing on my '76 Rhodes a few years ago and
did the same things.  I have previously made the crossing from Gun Kay to Ft.
Lauderdale.  My crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini in May was perfect!
Scattered thunderheads and 6 foot seas, basicly a smooth crossing.  The next 3
months we (some times my brother, and the balance of the time with my wife and 14
year old son) went as far south as Georgetown (should have gon even further
south) and as far north as Walkers key.  It was absoultly fabulous.  The boat
was Ideal for the Bahamas and even though several tropical lows came through we
kept up with the weather and were fine.  I have sailed extensivly in small
boats all over the Med. and the Chesepeak and the Rhodes is the best I have ever
sailed.  On our crossing from Gun Kay to Ft. Lauderdale we left around 6 pm
so we would arrive in the late morning.  Things didn't work out quite right, we
arrived after only 10 hours and had to wait for the sun to come up before
going into the harbor.  We had a great ESE wind and following seas and it was a
surf fest all the way.  I hate to admit it but fI sold the Rhodes and moved
from Maryland to Oregon.  I couldn't stand it any longer and just purchased a
used Rhodes.  I have no Idea how I will get it back to Oregon but I will.  I plan
to trailer it up to the San Juans and down to Baha.  We may even do the
Bahamas again (and this time the Turks and Caicos).  Let me know if you make the
trip.

Chris Geankoplis
Medford, Oregon