[Rhodes22-list] Rhendezvous Rain-out (nearly) Report - bogg?

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 12:44:04 EDT 2003

Tom,

To further confuse people I was actually born in Guam! I am not sure what
that makes me other than strange. :)

My Dad's family owned a print shop in down town Manhatten for over a hundred
years. T. S. Buck Printing was on Canal Street not to far from China Town
and closed in 1980. My Dad went to Fort Skyler (sp?) Merchant Marine Academy
off NY Harbor. He grew up on Avenue P (can't remember the side street. My
Mom lived on East 33rd a couple of blocks from Marine Park. This is near
Kings Plaza if I remember right. Once my Dad got out of OCS he shipped west.
After some time in CA they headed out to the glamorous island of Guam. I
hear Guam has changed a lot but at the time junior officer quarters was
basically a shack with no glass in the windows. They had shutters and drop
down netting to slow down the bugs.

After a few other stops on the west coast we moved to NY and lived in the
charming Roosevelt area. Even as a kid I knew this area was the pits! I hear
it is really bad today. My sister and her family live in Westbury and I have
an Uncle and cousins out in Bellport LI. Like they say; NY is a nice place
to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!

Wally