[Rhodes22-list] CAUTION-POLITICS, Wally, About Africa

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 15:50:59 EDT 2003

USA for Africa
http://www.guardian.co.uk/famine/story/0,12128,965311,00.html

> Bob Geldof, the musician behind the well-intentioned
if somewhat
treacly
Live Aid efforts of the '80s ("Do They Know It's
Christmas?"), has high
praise for President Bush, London's Guardian reports:

> *** QUOTE ***
>
> "You'll think I'm off my trolley when I say this,
but the Bush
administration is the most radical--in a positive
sense--in its
approach to
Africa since Kennedy," Geldof told the Guardian.

> The neo-conservatives and religious rightwingers who
surrounded
President
George Bush were proving unexpectedly receptive to
appeals for help, he
said. "You can get the weirdest politicians on your
side."

> Former president Bill Clinton had not helped Africa
much, despite his
high-profile visits and apparent empathy with the
downtrodden, the
organiser
of Live Aid, claimed. "Clinton was a good guy, but he
did f--- all."

> *** END QUOTE ***
>
> Geldof also has disdain for the European Union,
whose efforts in
Africa he
calls "pathetic and appalling."