[Rhodes22-list] Stan, CAUTION, politics ahead

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 19:09:58 EDT 2003

Wally,

First let me make a couple of minor points and then
I'll give you the answer you seek.

"The President had consistently resisted the pressure
to stop the flow, lest total cutoff trigger a Japanese
invasion of the Netherlands East Indies, thus
extending the European war to Asia and makeing the
defeat of Hitler that more difficult.  Now, on August
1 (1941), after long, serious discussions, Roosevelt
slammed an embargo on high-octane gasoline as well as
crude oil".... At Dawn We Slept, Gordon W. Prange

"The Maikip oil feilds, producing annually two and a
half million tons of oil, had been captured on August
8 (1942), ............On the thirty-first Hitler was
urging Field Marshal List......to scrape up all
available forces for the final push to Grozny so that
he "could get his hands on the oil fields".....The
Rise and Fall of The Third Reich, William L. Shirer

Of course WW2 was more complicated than a quest for
oil but it was certainly a factor.

Do we engage ourselves in Middle East politics because
of oil?  Well, it sure as hell isn't about the sand.
Did we have any business going into Somolia, Bosnia,
and all the other places we went during Clinton's
administration?  I have mixed emotions but I think its
a bit shallow and partisan to accept one invasion
because it was "the right thing to do" and a given
President decided to do it and then criticize another
President because he "did the right thing" but oil was
involved.  If someone wants to deplore or protest war,
fine.  Keep party politics out of it and be
consistant.  I don't remember the massing in the
streets of all the anti-war folks when "their" man was
in office.

Brad

=== message truncated ===