OUCH!!! Re: [Rhodes22-list] Steep Launch Question

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Fri May 30 09:01:34 EDT 2003

Ouch Julie,
First you get it and then Blue Loon. I hope you both heal quickly.

I must say I know what you went through with Blue Loon. We had that exact
same thing happen the first time we launched Fretless.  We ground out the
gouges, filled with epoxy and touched up with the touch up paint that Elton
gave us when we left the factory. You can't notice the damage. The ramp we
launched at was also steep and as we were drysailing we took to launching
with an old throwable kapok-filled cushion draped over the bowstop. We
destroyed the cushion in 2 1/2 years of use. We now launch once and
retrieve once a year at a much shallower ramp. We still sometimes get
smudges on the bow from our new black rubber bowstop but the forces are not
so severe.  If we were still launching at a steep ramp we would have had to
find something else to pad the bowstop or perhaps retool the bowstop
assembly to accept one of those big heavy-duty amber stops (we couldn't
find one to fit). I think the new trailers have a different bowstop
assembly - at least the ones I've seen at the boat shows look different.

Another tip for steep ramps: when you pull out, make sure the boat is
centered on the bunks. Don't let the keel catch on the uprights that serve
as the keel guides. The keel guide upon which the keel is sitting cannot
support the entire weight of your boat.  The good news is thought the bang
of the boat dropping onto the bunks when the keel guide broke scared the
sh** out of us, no damage was done to the boat. We bent the support for the
aft keel roller and a year later had to re-weld one of the vertical
supports on the trailer - possibly related.

Good luck on the repairs. Hope your ribs mend quickly and you are back out
on the water soon.

Mary Lou