[Rhodes22-list] Stan, CAUTION, politics ahead

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 06:19:30 EDT 2003

Roger,

There was an echo of Thomas Malthus in what you just
said.  I'm not disputing your numbers or your theory.
Politics has always been about distribution of income
and the search for resources.  In our lifetime we've
outlasted a lot of "isms'", now we're fighting
Wahabbism, a group that wants to take us back to the
12th century.  I for one am pretty happy with the
21st, but then again I personally burn about 700,000
lbs. a month of hydrocarbons just makeing a living.
It always strikes me as being a bit odd when I fly out
of Sacramento and pass over an idle nuclear reactor
that was never finished because of the NIMBY's (not in
my back yard).  These same people are driving two
hours in traffic to work, calling in to radio shows
complaining about electricty prices and brownouts.
Politics is a messy business.  Its been predicted many
times that there wasn't enough food to feed the worlds
population but then agriculture (using petro-chemical
fertilizers and machines) increases production.   But
then people eat better, breed more, etc., Thomas
Malthus again.  I sure as hell don't have the ultimate
solution but I know for damn sure those boys with box
cutters tearing down buildings don't.

Brad

=== message truncated ===