[Rhodes22-list] Rudder problems

Bill Berner bberner at optonline.net
Sat May 31 23:45:08 EDT 2003

The bread of the rudder sandwich is called the casing. The rudder, tiller,
and spacers make up the meat.

Are you sure your rudder casing is aluminum.

I became much more familiar with mine this Spring than I had ever hoped to,
and it is made of 1/2" sheet PVC. It's a medium grey plastic material.  The
spacers are teak on mine.

You very well might need some sort of additional spacers if the teak has
shrunk down to less than the thickness of the rudder &/or tiller.  I had
this problem when I sanded and then Varnished my spacers, after building a
new casing.  My boat club managed to destroy my old one, while the boat was
on the trailer early this spring.

I've been messing with adjusting the tightness of the various bolts on mine
to try to get the right amount of free fall/tension on my rudder and tiller.

Washers between the casing and the spacers should work fine, as well. If the
casing is indeed aluminum, just use some, Roger help me here, dielectric
greasw(?) between the casing and the washers.  I seem to recall using
something that I think was called Tek-Gel when mating two different types of
metal to avoid galvanic corrosion.

BB

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway