[Rhodes22-list] Tiller pilot

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:02:16 EST 2003

Bill,
I made the mistake of not consulting this list before picking out a tiller
pilot.  My main purpose for it is the fact that I singlehand a lot and it
would give me a lot of flexibility to do that.  Sometimes I even singlehand
when my wife is sailing with me...  The other reason is for the trips to the
coast.  Would have been nice to have it while motoring for 4.5 hours last
week.

I chose a Raymarine unit because of their reputation for being the best and
that is the brand of all my other instruments.  The model is the ST 2000
which I selected because I was wary of going with their bottom end ST 1000
and read some reviews that suggested the 1000 might not be the most reliable
unit.  So, why not spend a little more money and upgrade to a better unit?
Plus it was (and is) on sale on Sailnet.

The installation has been a nightmare and that is why I wish I had checked
to see who else has installed what.  The marina is doing it (or trying to
since August) and has ordered parts on backorder which arrived and then they
decided we needed more parts which are now on backorder again.  You are
correct that the installation can be made pretty far astern on the tiller,
especially since it has to avoid the stern seats.  The problem seems to be
the types and number of different brackets needed to connect the tillerpilot
to the coaming, and then to the tiller since it has to be a level and 90
degree angled connection.

I have no idea when or if they will be able to make it work, but want to
make sure that it will work before they start drilling and epoxying.
Anyway, still waiting...
Bob K