[Rhodes22-list] Digital Cameras Revisited

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Oct 3 02:12:07 EDT 2003

Rummy,

Although the Olympus CAMEDIA software that came bundled with the camera has
basic photo editing/printing/publishing capabilities, I mainly use it for
downloading the image data files from the camera into my desktop PC.  For
the image file transfer operation, the Olympus CAMEDIA software is
especially fast & idiot-proof.  Once I have the image files in my PC, I have
both Adobe Photoshop & Corel Photo-Paint to manipulate them with.  I have
more experience with Photo-Paint & tend to use to that software package.
Daniel, my older son, is a Graphic Arts - Electronic Imaging major & likes
to use Photoshop.  Daniel got his experience with Photoshop up at Northern
Michigan University (NMU).  Daniel is always giving me grief about my
preference for Photo-Paint.  Both software packages are incredibly "deep" &
sophisticated.  They both require a significant effort & a relatively long
time to learn to use effectively.  But, once you know either of them, there
is very little you can't do with & to an image.  Photoshop seems to run
better on Mac's, which is the PC of choice up at NMU in their Graphic Arts
program.  We have a Gateway Pentium 4, 1.5 GHz, PC & I think Photo-Paint
runs faster with less "strangeness" than Photoshop.  Either program needs
lots of RAM & hard disk space to work well.  Our PC has 512 Mbytes of RAM,
56 Gbytes of hard disk space, & haven't had any problems.

Rummy, I'm glad you noticed the post re my experience with the Olympus
Stylus 400 digital camera.  You were saying you ruin digital cameras fairly
often on your job.  An Olympus Stylus 300 or 400 might do the job for you &
would probably be a whole lot more reliable than the digital cameras you've
been using.  Of course, they cost about 2X - 3X more than the low end
digital cameras as well.  Whether this additional cost will be worth it to
you will probably depend upon how important it is to be reasonably assured
of getting the shot in real time.  If you are mainly using your digital
camera to take photos of roof repair jobs, then ruggedness & reliability may
not be particularly important to you.  The roof will still be there tomorrow
or the next day if your digital camera happens to die today.  I would think
issues of professionalism, rescheduling a visit to the prospective client's
roof, & the general PITA factor would have to be considered in this
decision.  The next time your digital camera dies while you're up on top of
a roof, you may want to give these issues a little more consideration.

Just something to think about.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium